25 Feb 2015

Backyard Adventures 4, Glastonbury


Home to hippies, spiritualists, a quirky high street and one of the most famous festivals in the world. I am talking about Glastonbury, the small town which 250,000 people every year will come to appreciate some of the world's biggest and best music artists. 


 I was lucky enough to get a ticket to attend the festival back in 2011. Glastonbury Festival was 5 days of firsts for me, my first festival, my first trip with friends, my first birthday away from home and the first time I got to see my dad on my actual birthday since I was 9. My Dad has attended Glastonbury every year since my 10th birthday and as it happens the festival always takes place over my birthday (26th June) so seeing my dad on my birthday seemed like kind of a big deal at the time.



Glastonbury is by far one of the most memorable 5 days I have ever experienced. The atmosphere is unreal, I really don't know how to describe it... It's just incredible, people have travelled from all over the world to celebrate and appreciate live music and I guess that in itself is something spectacular. Everyone just wants to have a good time. I've seen a lot of fights and brawls published in the media during a festival but I would be very surprised if there was one at glastonbury, unless the people in the fight are total pratts. 


Glastonbury Festival is really something to experience. Sitting on a strangers shoulders, getting your welly stuck in the infamous glastonbury mud,* singing from the top of your lungs in the pouring rain, only to be covered in sunburn and blisters the next day. Glastonbury Festival is incredible and you should definitely put it on your bucket list right now.



But Glastonbury has so much more to offer than just an amazing festival. Glastonbury Tor is one of the most iconic and evocative landmarks England has to offer. After a steep climb (much like Cheddar Gorge) you will be rewarded with stunning views over the Somerset levels, Dorset, Wiltshire and Wales. The tower at the top of the tor is actually the remains of a 15th century church, there is so much history that accompanies Glastonbury Tor and Abbey that you just have to visit and have a look around. 





Finally, a trip to Glastonbury wouldn't be complete without a visit to the highstreet. I can guarantee that you could spend hours diving in and out of every shop. One of my favourite stores that I went into was one that was furnished like a house and all the items of furniture and decoration were items for sale. Buuuut I didn't take down the name of that store (blogger blunder!) so I guess you'll have to come and discover it yourself! There are so many cute and quirky/weird stores and cafes, I couldn't possibly list them all, but I'm pretty confident that you will love all of them. 







That is Glastonbury in a nutshell, I'm really taking you all over the South West! Well, Somerset. Next is one of my favourite cities in the whole world which has already been featured on this blog but it's that good it deserves a second post!


Happy Wednesday! 

S x

*My sister Jess  (aka. Shrimp, Little J, Rugrat, Gremlin) has a hilarious story about her welly in Glastonbury which I simply have to share. Like I said before, it's pretty common to get your welly stuck in the mud but Jess is so small/weak/maybe a little too drunk that she couldn't unstick her welly from the mud. A kind stranger came to help her but she thought he was a welly thief so started screaming for help, once she had stopped screaming the stranger told her he was just trying to help and they finally released her foot and welly from the torturous mud. This would only ever happen to Jess. 


No comments:

Post a Comment