10 Aug 2014

Damnoen Saduak Floating Markets

After an hour and a half bumping around in a minibus, we arrived in Ratchaburi for our day of exploring the Damnoen Saduak Floating Markets. This day trip was one of the best things I have done in Bangkok, most definitely worth getting up at 6am for. (For those that know me you will understand that getting up at 6am is a big deal for me.)




After arriving at Pier 1 we were ushered into a long boat which we were told would take us to the floating markets. It was nice to see a more rural area of Bangkok, we were amazed that people actually lived on floating huts on the river. We saw a variety of people rowing around just living their daily life. It's so strange to think how different their lives are to ours.



15 minutes later we arrived at the markets. We walked through hundreds and hundreds of stalls selling brightly coloured purses, bracelets, photo frames, candles, (pretty much everything I don't need in my life, but it's okay to treat yourself every once in a while right?!) where we finally arrived to the river.


We then paid B150 for a boat to take us around the floating markets.


There were people selling fruit, bbq chicken, seafood, pretty much any Thai food you could wish for and of course no Thai market would be complete without all the touristy souvenirs.





It's amazing how eager people are for you to buy their souvenirs. People would actually latch hold onto your boat and drag you to their stall, showing you every possible thing you could potentially buy. I held back from buying anything from the floating market stalls as their prices were a big outrageous. B1000 (£20) for a plastic buddha? No thank you.



We then had time to walk around the normal market before heading back. I bought some Rambutan (one of my favourite snacks in the Philippines) to keep me going on the journey home.


For anyone dubious or only debating going to the Floating Markets, I would honestly say go for it. It is worth the money you pay. It was just incredible. Honestly, it was such a unique experience, something I have never done before and will probably never do again. I have never seen anything like it! My advice would be go early in the morning and on a weekday as when we were living it was getting pretty crowded and busy and the queues for the boats were massive.

As always, love

- S 

No comments:

Post a Comment